Monday, July 15, 2013

Aiki

I just stumbled across a great article whilst searching for "Aikido in Belize."  (I'm going to Belize next week -- but that's another story).

I just wanted to share this awesome read:
http://aikieast.blogspot.com/2009/06/taeching-methodology.html

Some passages that were particularly profound for me:

"It's not that physical strength isn't important, it just needs to be the proper kind of strength. A strong, fearless spirit is essential to do our art. But it cannot be the spirit of fighting... it must be the spirit of "fudo shin" or immovable mind. "   What I like about this is that it alludes to the difference between "strong" and "stiff" -- and between "relaxed" and "limp."   And that applies mentally as well as physically.

"When the mind is excited or "noisy" you are feeling yourself, not the partner."   I think this is at the heart of my struggle with Jiyu-waza.  Also the fact that we do stress technique in our Jiyu-waza.   I used to do "randori" at other dojos, where the attack was mostly limited to a grab, and I did much better.  Not focusing on the attack and "appropriate" response allowed me to just blend.  I need to get back to that even when there is a specific attack.  It really shouldn't matter.

Hajime


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Mike - Ledyard is one of my favorites authors to read and he's posted some great things on the aikido online journal previously! This whole article is great - especially the ending line! :)

    As for your focus above, I definitely think the mental and physical part of being strong (not stiff) is an essential for each of us to learn. This to me, is each student learning about him/ herself and is definitely a personal journal as each of us have our own strengths, weaknesses and goals! We focus so much on overcoming uke but in truth we have to know/ control ourself!

    As for jiyu waza in our dojo, I would be fine w/you focusing on blending. Typically the adrenaline rush of jiyu waza shortens and tightens the blends thus lessening their use. If you focus on the blends, I think you'll find the space and time is then there to "find" the technique of your choice!

    Thx again for sharing!

    -T

    ReplyDelete