Sunday, October 8, 2023

As we train, to do we live

Back in July 2019, I wrote about how the techniques we practice in Aikido can be thought of as ways to practice the basic "principles" of Aikido.  Sounds so obvious when I say it that way.  But it's not so apparent when you're actually doing it.

Especially as a beginner, the basic mechanics and choreography of the movements can be so unfamiliar and overwhelming that the real magic of Aikido remains completely inaccessible for years.  I imagine it's a little like playing scales on the guitar for years and years. Eventually, some day, they just become a part of us, until one day we can see what's behind them. The scales seems to drop away and the music can come out more naturally.  I think O'Sensei referred to this as "no technique."  I think Bruce Lee spoke of a version of this as well.

Anyway, in yesterday's class, it occurred to me that different people probably prefer certain principles over others.  This might be due to their previous training, or their temperament, or their body type. Sometime prefer flowing techniques with a lot of motion. Some lean towards smaller, more direct movements.

Preferred movements can change with each different Uke, as well -- or different attacks from the same Uke.  Sometimes entering (Irimi) is more natural; sometimes turning (Tenkan); usually a combination of both.  But I'm getting distracted.

The real "ah ha" moment yesterday was that the basic principles of Aikido and our preferences for them probably pervade our lives in a broader, more general sense, as well. This came to me when training with someone in class who tends to be very intense in everything he does.  He seems to always go deep. "Go big, or go home" seems to be his mantra. The overriding principle he lives with is Irimi -- to enter. 

Me? I probably tend to more of a Tenkan kind of guy. I could probably do with a little more Irimi.






No comments:

Post a Comment