Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I left, my heart...

... in San Francisco...

OK, yes.   I've always trained at really awesome dojos with really awesome people.  The folks at Roanoke Budo Kai have been good to me despite all my foibles.  Before that, the gang at Asheville Aikikai did the same.   But I must admit that some part of my heart will always be with Suginami Aikikai in San Francisco. 

I lived in San Francisco for about 5 years (roughly 1996-2001), and I'll be going there later this week with my family to visit some long-time friends and get a taste of the City again. It's been almost 12 years since we moved away, and we haven't visited since.  Which means it's been 12 years since I trained at my first dojo, as well -- the same one Tonya visited a number of months ago.

So, I guess I have no choice (Tonya!) but to go train with my brethren on the old mat again.  A lot has changed since then, and I'm finding that I'm very nervous about the prospect.  At the time I trained about 13 hours a week.  Now, I only manage that in a month.

Will anyone recognize me (kinda almost hope they don't)?   I am, after all, 12 years (and about 12 pounds) older.   Will anyone recognize my Aikido?   Will Sensei watch me and shake his head in disappointment?   Will I even represent my current Aikidoka -- and my current Sensei -- well?

All of this is, of course, silly baggage that I'm pretty sure I can leave in the dressing room before I step onto the mat.  But it sure feels like a lot of weight right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment